Library Services at the University of Essex would like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and congratulate you all on a brilliant autumn term. This term we had an eventful Welcome Week, celebrated Black History Month, added a new art collection, and extended laptop loans to Southend and Loughton. It’s been a busy few months, and we’re already looking forward to sharing all the exciting stuff we have planned for next year – like the reopening of Floor 2! But for now, enjoy your holiday, and we’ll see you next term.
For those of you who will be around over the break, please take a look at the opening hours for your Library. We’ll be back to our regular service on 2 January, 2020!
Library Services Away Day – 17 December
Library staff will not be available on Tuesday, 17 December due to a Library Services Away Day. The Library will remain open, but all queries will be dealt with on 18 December.
Closes: 12.30pm, 24 December
Opens: 8am, 2 January
- During these dates you can still access the Library Reading Room and the Postgraduate Room using your student card.
- The books, journals, and laptop loans will be unavailable while the library is closed, but you will still have full access to our e-resources.
- There will be no library staff to respond to your queries until the 2nd January, but we will try to get back to you as soon as possible after the 2nd.
Closed: 24th, 25th 26th December & 1st January
- The Info Point will be closed from 12pm on 24 December until 9am on 2 January
- During these dates you will still be able to access The Learning Hub and Floor 2 using your student card.
Closes: 11pm, 24 December
Opens: 8.00am, 2 January
You can always check our opening hours online to see which spaces are open and when the libraries will open fully again.
Accessing your library
- The books and journals at Colchester and Loughton will not be accessible, but you will still have full access to our e-resources.
- There will also be no library staff to respond to your queries until the 2nd January, but we will try to get back to you as soon as possible after the 2nd.
- Colchester and Southend libraries have a few 24/7 spaces which you can access using your student card.
If a book is due before you return, you can always send it by post, and we’ll take the day you post it as the return date.
- You can return books via the outside book return, situated opposite the Silberrad Student Centre.
- Recalls will still happen over the holidays, so be prepared to return a book if requested and make sure to check your e-mails.
- Make sure you renew your books to avoid difficulties.
You can return books to The Forum library as usual.
All books taken out/renewed over the Christmas period will be due back on the 16th January.
Our Christmas ‘Wish Tree’ is back up in the Albert Sloman Library with chocolates hanging from its branches. Come write your Christmas wish on a tag and hang it on the tree in exchange for a tasty treat!
If you’re still on campus over the holiday, be sure to take a look at the events on campus the SU are putting on and get involved. There are a few away days planned to Flatford (20 Dec), Meadow Croft German Xmas Market (23 Dec), Framlingham & Southwold (6 Jan) & Lavenham (10 Jan), and some activities on campus as well.
Happy holidays and happy new year!!