Your library, your way
How do you access your electronic resources? Do you come to the library website and browse? Do you look at your reading lists on Moodle and go from there? Do you Google the topic until you hit a resource that looks right? However you do it, Lean Library is there to help you.
What is Lean Library?
Lean Library is a plugin for browsers that the library subscribes to. When you access any eResource, Lean Library will do everything it can to get you access:
- It will see if you can access the eResource via the library catalogue, maybe from a different provider
- If we don’t have it, it will look for open access versions of the eResource
- If the library doesn’t have access and the article isn’t available elsewhere, it will allow you to make a request for it.
So however you want to access your eResources, Lean Library will be there to make it as quick and as easy as possible.
What else can it do?
As well as getting you access to eResources, Lean Library allows you to see additional information about the resource. This could range from setting up personal accounts with specific providers such as EBSCO, through to current access issues and ways to get around them. The Plugin allows you to see the most up to date information we have about the eResource. To this date, Lean Library has:
- Helped 1,649,785 users get access to publishers, domains and databases that are licenced by the library.
- Served 9,666 assist messages to patrons who otherwise may have been lost.
- Offered 38,339 legal alternatives to articles or eBooks though the library and open access when patrons hit barriers.
- Redirected 4,769 users to Open Access articles.
- Enhanced Google Scholar searches 149,592 times.
- Enhanced PubMed searches 19,954 times.
- Saved patrons about 28,296 hours on their research.
How do I get access to Lean Library?
All you have to do is download the plugin for your browser and associate it with the University of Essex Library Services.
You can download and find out more about Lean Library from the download page.