Our lives have changed significantly in the last 12 months, but one thing has remained the same: our commitment to our users! We are extremely grateful for all the feedback and comments you have provided us with, which have given us a really useful insight into what changes to implement in order to meet your needs, while keeping both you and our staff safe.
Here are some examples of the ways in which your feedback has resulted in the adjustment and transformation of our services…
🎭 You said you wanted more theatrical performances to watch on-line. We have responded by purchasing a subscription to the National Theatre Collection via Drama Online. To access the collection, search for ‘Drama Online’ on our website, click on the link provided, log yourself in using your University of Essex credentials, and select ‘National Theatre Collection’ under the ‘Collections’ tab.
🔓 You said you were experiencing issues gaining access to some of the essential readings on your reading lists. We have responded by ensuring access to more online texts, as well as by guaranteeing unlimited access for all users.
💻 You said it would be useful to see if laptops were available before coming to campus. In response to this, we have added live information about laptop availability to the library website – just click on ‘Laptop Loans’ under the section ‘Your Resources’.
🧴 In Colchester you said you thought it was important that the library provided antibacterial hand sanitisers on all floors. You will be pleased to know that each floor of the Albert Sloman Library is equipped with antibacterial hand sanitisers, and additional dispensers have also recently been installed on the ground floor.
🖨️ In Loughton you said that you were experiencing problems with printing due to the limited availability of printing slots. In response to your feedback, we have opened up a second printer for bookings. This means that the number of printing slots available every day has now doubled. To book a printing slot, go to our website.
🕒 In Loughton you said that the reduced opening hours operated by the library were having a negative impact on your ability to study and print. We have now extended our opening hours and we currently provide access to our library Monday to Friday from 10 am to 5 pm. View the opening hours of your library on our website.
📚 In Loughton you said that you found it difficult to choose books without being able to physically browse our collection. Following your feedback, we have been able to replace our ‘click and collect’ service with ‘choose your own books’ slots. This allows students to book 30-minute slots to come into the library, browse the collection and choose the books they want to borrow. Reserve a ‘choose your own books’ slot on our website.
Services whose provision has been uninterrupted throughout the pandemic, and other changes that we hope have benefitted our users…
- Across all three libraries books have been renewed throughout the lockdowns because we wanted to take away the worry of having to return your books.
- Access to Eikon has been made available for Essex Business School students off campus.
- We have continued to support students with library workshops, 1-1 meetings via Zoom, as well as our chat and email services.
- We have continued to fulfil Interlibrary Loan requests and purchase suggestions, as well as to provide access to all our online resources and support.
- Students at Southend continue to have 24/7 access to the Learning Hub.
- Print materials are still available to borrow Monday – Friday/Saturday/Sunday (depending on the campus) via our ‘click and collect’ service in Colchester and Southend, and via our ‘choose your own books’ service in Loughton.
We always want to hear more about your experiences of using our services, even though in the current situation we may be limited in the ways that we can respond to them.
Contact us at any time to tell us what you think, and ask to sign up to the Library Advisory Group mailing list for more opportunities to shape your library around you!