Discover how the Library can enhance your teaching and research!
All academic staff are invited to our libraries for a series of events which will showcase key services and collections that can be utilised in your teaching and research. The events are an opportunity to meet staff from across Library and Cultural Services, and a range of other academic staff facing services, to find out more about our services and ways we can support you, and to develop collaborations.
“As the new academic year approaches, I would like to invite you to re-discover what our libraries have to offer you and your students. You may not have visited the library in person for a while and it will be an opportunity for you to meet library staff and find out more about our collections and services, including the new digital collections we are providing for each Faculty. I hope you can join us.”– Cathy Walsh
Director of Library and Cultural Services and University Librarian
The following Library and Cultural Services collections and services will be represented at the events:
- New and major digital collections for each Faculty – discover the new collections of books, journals and other content we have purchased for Faculties.
- Reading lists support – develop your reading lists to release their educational potential and provide up-to-date content.
- Student skills development and teaching – embed digital and information literacy skills into your curriculum and enhance student learning.
- Research visibility, open access services and the Essex Student Journal – get expert support to increase your research visibility, including choosing open access publication routes with confidence, and find out how to showcase your students’ work to an international audience.
- Special collections and archives – discover how the Library’s world-class historical archives and collections can support learning and research across Faculties.
- Library Advisory Group – find out how you can contribute to the development of the Library through participation in this group.
- Lakeside Theatre and Art Exchange – discover our incredible arts venues on-campus with a behind the scenes tour!
- Essex Collection of Art from Latin America (ESCALA) and University Art Collection – Discover the University’s Museum Accredited art collections, which are of international research significance.
A range of other Professional Services teams that work closely with Library and Cultural Services will also be at the events in Colchester. These include:
- Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) – Find out how the TEL team can support you to make better use of educational technology, improve your digital skills, and prepare your Moodle pages for the start of term. You will also be able to speak to one of the team’s instructional designers about how to level up your lecture slides!
- Skills for Success – find out how the SfS team can work with you to develop your students’ skills in academic skills, academic writing, and numeracy.
- Careers – find out how the Careers team can support you to embed employability and placement opportunities into the curriculum.
- Skills@Essex – find out how you can embed the skills content from this Moodle resource into your teaching and contribute to development of the resource.
Southend & Loughton Library Discovery Days
Staff will be given the opportunity to explore different professional services as well as library resources to learn about how they can help you and your students. The Southend discovery day is open to all staff, whether you are an academic wanting to know more about how the library and other professional services can benefit your teaching and research, or a member of professional services interested in learning more about your colleagues and how we can work together.
The Library Discovery Days events will take place on the following dates:
- Albert Sloman Library, Colchester. Thursday 25th August, 11am – 3pm
- Albert Sloman Library, Colchester. Tuesday 6th September, 11am – 3pm.
- The Forum (TF.2.59), Southend. Tuesday 20th September, 11am – 2pm.
- Albert Sloman Library, Colchester. Thursday 22nd September, 11am – 3pm.
- The Library and IT Centre, Loughton. Tuesday 27th September, 11am – 2pm
Drop-in at any time during the in-person events, with refreshments available.
Sign-up through iTrent is recommended and will help with our planning, but is not essential.